Sonntag, August 20, 2006

Unbelievable

While not brooding over my age, ill health and mortality, I've been being willfully lazy and lounging about drinking beer and watching the king of boring sports, golf, which I have to admit I have fun watching. Anywho, during the current PGA coverage I've been absolutely wowed by the Differ'nt Strokes/Webster-inspired PriceWaterhouseCoopers commercials in which an old apparently white guy creepily follows 10-15 year-old people of various non-white colors around a golf course dropping gleaming nuggets of supposedly golf-inspired supposed wisdom. I wouldn't have commented on how obviously disturbing this is if it apparently is not obvious enough for anyone to mention to the PriceWaterhouseCoopers ad men or CBS or the PGA.

First of all, I think The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air made clear for any of those who were confused that black people are capable of parenting black children, giving them sitcom-quality life advice and so on.

Secondly, why is this old guy hanging out with a succession of young children? He looks too old to be giving them golf lessons, and he doesn't appear to be related to them.

I'm seriously ooked. Am I the only one?

1 Kommentar:

ZaPaper hat gesagt…

Hi, you're back! Had no idea you'd been reading my bits and pieces, but you're welcome, naturally. I kind of dropped out of blog-stalking your family because pix of cute kiddies make me too jealous. As for the pace, lack of aforementioned kiddies helps, as does a lack of interest in ex-pat or Chinese night-life, and the absence of my unlikely boyfriend. :) Also, having absolutely no standards helps too: I decided on quantity over quality long ago. And lastly it's more fun the working on my dissertation!

Incidentally, I find this golf thing completely mysterious. It sounds even weirder than Chinese TV though not, I will add, weirder than Taiwanese TV, where I once saw a Korean chef putting elaborate sauces on the squirming tentacle of a still-living octopus; then putting the tip of said tentacle into the mouth of a kneeling girl and snipping it off the octopus with a pair of scissors. The girl sucked up the convulsing tentacle with such revolting delight that that moment became my gold standard for the horrific weirdness of TV forever-more.

Cheers!
--E.